Monday, March 19, 2007

72 and counting

Today is my birthday! It is common, I assume, to give some thoughts on such occasions to one's mortality. I understand that the mortality rate for all of us is 100% and that is, therefore, unlikely I will escape that fate.

I look back on my life and wish I could do things over. I really screwed up a lot of things and missed a bunch of stuff, too. I have really no memorizes of growing up; except for a few episodes, all is a blank. It wasn't until I was in my 50's that I went through some therapy and became straitened out.

If I could do it over, I would have spent a lot more time with my fantastic children. I would have enjoyed fatherhood in all its aspects. I would have gotten to know my sister much better; we were not together when I was growing up but there were opportunities that were, I'm sure, missed.

I would have much more fun in high school and college, not be so afraid of girls as strange creatures.

I cannot relive the past, so what to do?

I resolve to spend the next years of my life being with and getting to know children and grandchildren and, indeed, wife. I will tell them all how much they are loved. I will tell them that they are the reason for living and I can't wait to see how it all comes out.

No comments: