Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Trip to Connecticut

This past weekend, Joan and I went to our friends' granddaughter's Bat Mitzvah in Trumbull, Connecticut, a community near Bridgeport and between Hartford and New York.I understand that the affair was originally going to be in February but that the family wad concerned about poor weather so it was set for the first weekend in April.

So much for trying to do good; we froze.

We flew into Hartford early Friday afternoon and picked up our rental car. It was equipped with one of the fancy navigational systems. It is a good thing I depended on good old fashioned maps and not the gizmo because I couldn't get the darn thing to work. It was surely smarter than I.

We arrived in Trumbull and the hotel was fantastic. One thing though. On Saturday morning we went to the motel's dining room for breakfast. There was a buffet in operation and, from my experience down south and a lot of places, the buffet was (I thought) complementary. It turns out that the charge was nearly $15/person. I guess that I am a hick in the big city. Good eggs, though!

The host and hostess were wonderful, treating us as old members of the family. The service was great; the young lady who was the subject to all of this, was poised, articulate and a delight. Rebecca is a person with strong ethical and philosophical beliefs (she will not eat and food from an animal that must be slaughtered; she is a sincere Vegan). What was remarkable and much appreciated and admired by me is that she was able to articulate her beliefs beautifully. I do not go along with her (I love steak and hamburgers) but totally respect her sincerity and honesty. The kid is remarkable. I already said that, but she's worth the duplication!

Saturday night, we sat by the fire in the lobby of the Marriott, Joan sipping a Kahlua and I an Irish whiskey. I really could get used to this.

Sunday morning, we awoke to the sight of snow. It was falling at quite a rate, even if it didn't stick. And it was cold. Very cold. After a brunch at their home, we started to return to the Hartford airport. The airport was only an hour or so away and our plane didn't leave for nearly 7 hours. It was too windy and cold to sight see and, being Easter Sunday, there wasn't too much that was open anyway. So we sat at Bradley airport in Hartford from 1 PM to take off. By the time we got back to Tampa, it was 10:30 and exhaustion overtook us.

My job at Jackson-Hewitt is winding down, tax season ends next week. If I am not chosen to work part-time over the summer, I'll be devoting more time to Associated Content.

I sort of enjoy this blog stuff -- even if it's like the sound of a falling tree when no one is there to hear the crash!

No comments: